Brown Rice is healthy, affordable, and easy to make at home. When you add butter and salt (the way we all grew up preparing good old fashioned WHITE rice) you are taking away from the health benefits of brown rice – the reason you’re cooking it to begin with!
The recipe for brown rice is easy as can be:
- Bring 2 cups of water to boil
- Add 1 cup of rinsed brown rice
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 45 minutes
This will give you a well-cooked, but bland recipe for brown rice that you’ll end up salting to high heaven in an effort to make it palatable. What to do? The low-calorie wonder condiment salsa comes to the rescue once again! Don’t be fooled – the amount of salsa you add will look like a lot and might make you think it will turn out spicy. Nope. It will add just enough natural flavor and color to keep you from reaching for the salt shaker or going for the butter.
Next time you’re making brown rice, which by the way, one cup of brown rice makes an easy 3 days worth of dinner sides, try this and be amazed!
- Bring 1 1/2 cups plus 1/2 cup of salsa to boil
- Add 1 cup of rice
- Bring back up to a rolling boil
- Reduce heat, cover, and let simmer for about 35 minutes, then check – not letting it cook for more than 45 minutes.
- TIP: When it seems “almost done” (a little bite will have the hint of a crunch to it) take it off the heat. It will continue to cook a little bit, so if you wait until it’s done, it will be mushy by the time it hits the plate.
No salt needed, and now you have a colorful, yummy-looking whole-grain side that goes great with any meal.